How to Get Care When You Are Away From Home
There are times when you will need care while you are away from home. If you are sick or need urgent or emergency care in the United States while you are away from home, here is what you should do:
- If you think you have an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room (ER).
- If you are sick and you are not sure if it is urgent or an emergency, call your PCP or behavioral health specialist. Your PCP or behavioral health specialist can help you decide if you need to go to the nearest ER or urgent care center.
- If you get care in the ER and you are admitted to the hospital while you are away from home, have the hospital call AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware at 1-844-211-0966. The phone number is also listed on the back of your ID card.
Remember, Member Services is here to help you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
24/7 Nurse Call Line
You can also always contact the 24/7 Nurse Call Line if you cannot reach your provider or are away from home. The 24/7 Nurse Call Line is there for you toll free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 1-844-897-5021.
When you call the toll-free 24/7 Nurse Call Line, the nurse will:
- Ask you questions about your health.
- Give you information on how to care for yourself at home, when appropriate.
- Give you information to help you decide what other care you need.
Please remember the 24/7 Nurse Call Line does not take the place of your PCP. Always follow up with your PCP if you have questions about your health care.
Services are not covered outside of the continental United States.
AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware helps you talk to a health care provider by using the camera on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. The doctors or nurse practitioners can help with common health problems and prescribe medicine if needed. The service may be used when you are not able to see your regular doctor.
You should always visit your regular doctor if you are sick or have a medical emergency. But if you can’t see your doctor, telemedicine is a convenient option. Be sure to follow up with your doctor to stay up-to-date on your health care.
If you need help finding a health care provider, go to Find a Provider, or call AmeriHealth Caritas Delaware Member Services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at:
- Diamond State Health Plan: 1-844-211-0966 (TTY 1-855-349-6281).
- Diamond State Health Plan-Plus: 1-855-777-6617 (TTY 1-855-362-5769).